If you have answered “No” to any of these questions, follow the guidelines below to make sure your house numbers are easy to see:
- Numbers must be visible from the street
- Numbers should be at least 4 inches high
- Numbers should be placed on a contrasting background, with a reflective coating on the numbers for easy visibility at night.
- Numbers should be placed on or beside the front door. If your door is not easily seen from the street, put the numbers on a post, fence or tree at the driveway entrance so they can be clearly seen from the street.
- In addition to numbers on the front door of your home, if you have a rural style mailbox, reflective and contrasting numbers should be placed on both sides of the box so they can be easily seen by a firetruck or ambulance approaching from either direction.
- Please Note: It is not necessary to put your name on your mailbox. Only your house number and, if there is room, the road or street name. Having the street name on the mailbox is useful to emergency services and the post office, especially when the municipal street sign is missing.